February is Black History month. It’s a great time to provide an update on the Historic Barnes House – see initial post here.
The Barnes House, home of Eppa and Amanda (Lambert) Barnes, was built in 1797, and originally owned by Moses Copen, a slave owner at the time. Mr. Copen owned Eppa (born in 1852), his siblings and his mother (Jane). By the end of the Civil War, Eppa was freed and Mr. Copen had passed. After Mr. Copen’s death, his daughter Permilia Copen, gave the house to Jane (Eppa’s mother) along with seven acres. Eppa married Amanda “Mandy” Lambert in July 1875. Over the years they purchased approximately 160 acres of land, raised 11 children and expanded their home as their family expanded.