- 2 cups water
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp whiskey
- Shortening or vegetable oil for frying
- Combine, water, butter, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the baking powder and flour all at once and stir until the mixture comes away from the side of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for 2 min. or until the mixture is no longer steaming.
- Add the eggs one at a time until they are incorporated. Add the vanilla and whiskey last blending them into the mixture.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil to 375 degrees in deep fryer or large shallow pan.
- Drop batter into the oil 1 tsp. at a time, fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- You may dust them with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey.
Note: Sfinge will flip themselves over again and again until they are almost done. No need to touch them until the end when they won’t turn over anymore. Do one last flip with a spoon before removing them.
I can smell the deep fryer now!
The closest thing to them I can think of are French Crullers.
I would love some now!